Words from the first artist in residence at Gordon House

The first artist in residence at Gordon House was in fact a writer in residence, Eddie Haigh. Here are his thoughts and some images from his time working here.

"Coming to the end of my writer’s residency at Gordon House has proved to be a great eye opener on a personal level. If anything, it’s shown me that I can do it. It’s also shown me that time is too quick before everyday needs and life pushes itself back to being the centre of attention!
This week has allowed me the ability to focus and develop story ideas. To sequence events and develop characters . To allow me to think in a space without distractions. In short, this residency has given me the chance to prove myself.
It is all too easy to lose focus on projects with the intrusion of daily life. But a residency will give you that chance. Obviously it depends on how strong willed you are about letting your mind focus elsewhere and indeed, how your mind works.
Although I am developing my writing skills, I need visual help to plot and develop ideas. Hence the few ‘notes’ on the walls. These are now my guide to expand the storytelling. Yes, I’m sure things will change and new ideas will replace some of these, but as pins to attach my writing, they are essential to how I work.
Time at Gordon House can be used how you want. Whether you pull all-nighters and hammer your keyboard for 18 hours straight or regulate and routine your approach, the options are there.
I know I will be continuing my writing around my day job until it is finished. This is something I would not have done without this week. I’d certainly recommend it for anyone needing to write." Eddie Haigh


If you have an idea for a project, performance, workshop, seminar, display - contact us at gordonhousemargate.gmail.com or on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter @GordonHouseMargate

Comments

  1. I would love to read more content like this, and I want to give one advice, Capital Smart City is another great option for living.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts